Mobile Number Portability
Number Portability allows consumers and businesses to keep their existing telephone numbers when they switch service providers. It, literally, means that numbers are portable from service provider to service provider - whether that service provider is a mobile, wireline, or VoIP service provider.
Number Portability benefits everyone.
It gives subscribers the freedom to choose service providers based on criteria like services, price, and customer service. Their freedom of movement is not influenced by the inconveniences and costs that come with changing numbers.
It also makes it easier for service providers to compete for customers, precisely because it eliminates a major barrier to churn - that is, reluctance to change numbers. Although this increased risk of churn is a concern among some service providers, number portability has been a huge success around the world, because it helps to level the playing field, giving all service providers more opportunities to grow their subscriber bases and revenues.
Advantages to Subscribers
- It empowers the consumer to be a lifelong owner of his phone number and fosters additional choice and convenience in communication services and providers with whom they do business
- Increased competition amongst mobile service providers for customer retention, ensuring better service quality
- Competitive pricing, better services, improved and innovative Value Added Service
- Better addressing of grievances to retain subscribers
- Affordable and convenient
- Save money by choosing the best plan that suits your requirement
- No need to panic to inform family and friends of a change in number due to a change in the service provider
- Short-term monetary benefits to the Subscribers, as service providers willing to offer free talktime and data usage
Advantages to Service Providers
- Benefits to new service providers due to the innovative service offerings, better services, relatively uncongested network
- Service Providers will no longer have to pay the price to reserve a specific number series in a particular zone, even if there are very few Subscribers using that series
- Fewer struggles for newcomers: If an service provider is entering a new telecom zone, he will not have to struggle for getting enough number of subscribers to keep itself in business. Usually, new telecom service providers offer better price to value ratio for the Subscribers. It will play a significant role in getting new service providers a good number of subscribers